Nicaraguan authorities say a criminal gang of eight men carried out a shooting attack last month that killed five people and wounded more than 20 riding on two buses carrying government supporters.
Nicaragua’s national police director Aminta Granera said the motive appears to be criminal, not political. He said the gang planned the attack weeks before shooting at the buses on July 19, the anniversary of the revolt that swept the Sandinista movement into power.
See also: Gunmen attack buses in Nicaragua
Granera said Thursday that one of the suspects has links to Mexico’s Zetas drug cartel. He identified that suspect as a migrant trafficker named Jose Ricardo Cortes.
Cortes and six other suspects have been arrested. They face charges of homicide, organized crime, conspiracy and weapons possession.