Mexican government offers new version of events in June killing of 22
Share this on

Mexican government offers new version of events in June killing of 22

The Mexican government is giving yet another version of what happened when soldiers killed 22 suspected gang members at a warehouse in rural southern Mexico last June.

Attorney General Jesús Murrillo Karam says there were two gun battles in the town of San Pedro Limón.

He said Tuesday that all 22 were either dead or wounded in the June 30 exchange of fire. Then three soldiers killed the wounded. Murillo said a witness concurred with the government’s version, even though she previously told The Associated Press and Esquire in separate interviews that 21 were killed after they had surrendered.

Three soldiers face homicide charges.

The army initially said all 22 were killed in a firefight. But the version came under question because of the lopsided outcome and evidence at the scene.

Associated Press