Uruguay’s defense minister says six Guantánamo Bay prisoners sent to his country to be resettled as refugees are doing well and are undergoing medical checkups.
Eleuterio Fernández Huidobro spoke Monday to local radio Carve. He said that one of the men who had been on a long-term hunger strike has begun eating and will soon be released from the hospital to begin his new life.
He also said that the men who arrived early Sunday will be fully welcomed into Uruguayan society.
The six men were detained as suspected militants with ties to al-Qaeda in 2002 but were never charged. They had been cleared for release since 2009 but could not be sent home and the U.S. struggled to find countries willing to take them.