FARC demand return of remains of guerillas killed in attacks
Share this on

FARC demand return of remains of guerillas killed in attacks

Colombian rebel leaders attending peace talks in the Cuban capital are demanding that their government return the bodies of 37 guerrillas killed in two recent attacks.

They said Monday they are determined to continue talks with the government aimed at ending the country’s conflict of more than five decades despite the tensions.

Guerrilla commander Pablo Catatumbo, whose real name is Jorge Torres Victoria, says in a statement that the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia wants the rebels’ remains returned quickly so they can be laid to rest by their families.

Ten of the rebels were killed in a government attack last week in Segovia and the other 27 were killed in an offensive in the municipality of Guapi.

The government’s representative at the talks did not issue a statement.

See also: Caught amid conflict and police aggression, Colombia’s Cauca is in crisis

Associated Press