An alleged recruiter for the al-Qaida terrorist organization has been sent back home to Kuwait after nearly 14 years in custody at the U.S. base at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
The U.S. military says Faez Mohammed Al-Kandari was sent back to Kuwait after a government review board determined it was no longer necessary to continue holding him at Guantanamo. The release announced Friday reduces the prison population at the base to 104.
A profile of al-Kandari released by the Pentagon last year identified al-Kandari as an al-Qaida recruiter and propagandist. It said he also “probably” served as Osama bin Laden’s spiritual adviser. He denied committing any terrorist acts or having any extremist affiliations and was never charged.
He is the last of 12 Kuwaiti citizens held at Guantanamo.